Construction of the Terminal 5 expansion began in March 2019 and is almost completed. The first phase of the project includes an approximately $1.2 billion investment towards the modernization of O’Hare. The Terminal 5 expansion will include:
- 10 new gates to provide 25 percent more gate capacity, improving efficiency and reducing delays
- Expand the existing building by approximately 350,000 square feet
- Renovate more than 750,000 square feet of the existing building
- Add more airline lounge space
- Add more concessions and passenger amenities for an improved dining and shopping experience
- Enlarge, reconfigure, and refurbish interior spaces
- Integrate new furniture and new technology throughout the facility
- Expand security checkpoints
- Reconfigure and improve immigration and customs screening
- Replace the existing terminal Baggage Handling System to increase handling efficiencies
- Support various capital improvement projects to replace and upgrade mechanical systems
- Provide a new multi-story parking garage with additional short and long-term parking adjacent to the Terminal 5 building
Some of Chicago’s favorite dining options opening in Terminal 5: Big Bowl – Garrett Popcorn Shops – Goddess & Grocer – Hub 51 – R.J. Grunts – Tocco – Tortas Frontera Grill – Nuts on Clark and many more.
Upon completion of the new gates, Delta Air Lines will relocate to Terminal 5 from its existing location in Terminal 2. The move enables Delta and its SkyTeam alliance partners to mix domestic and international arrivals for use by foreign and domestic carriers, consolidating their operations into the same terminal to provide a better traveler experience.
Future phases of this project will include an new Hotel, additional parking capacity, improved roadway capacity, expanded and enhance curbside capacity.
Photo Credits: Chicago department of Aviation – Hok – Choose Chicago –Power Construction